What is the specific mechanism of umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cell-derived exosomes (UCMSC-exos) in regulating endometrial repair and regeneration?
In this study, UCMSC-exos were harvested by differential ultracentrifugation from umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cell culture supernatant and identified with western blotting, transmission electron microscopy and nanoparticle tracking analysis. Transforming growth factor-β1 (TGFβ1) at different concentrations was used to construct the intrauterine adhesions cell model. The fibrotic markers were assessed by quantitative reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction and western blotting. The effects of miR-145-5p over-expression on endometrial fibrosis were assessed. Dual luciferase assay was performed to verify the relationship between miR-145-5p and zinc finger E-box binding homeobox 2 (ZEB2).
The isolated UCMSC-exos had a typical cup-shaped morphology, expressed the specific exosomal markers Alix, CD63 and TSG101, and were approximately 50–150 nm in diameter. TGFβ1 at 10 ng/ml significantly promoted endometrial fibrosis, which was reversed by 20 µg/ml UCMSC-exos. Exosomal miR-145-5p ameliorated TGFβ1-induced endometrial fibrosis. ZEB2 was inversely regulated by exosomal miR-145-5p as a direct target.
UCMSC-exos might reverse endometrial stromal cell fibrosis by regulating the miR-145-5p/ZEB2 axis, representing a potential novel strategy to promote endometrial repair.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Reproductive BioMedicine Online
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- AAGL Practice Report: Practice Guidelines on Intrauterine Adhesions Developed in Collaboration With the European Society of Gynaecological Endoscopy (ESGE).J. Minim. Invasive Gynecol. 2017; 24: 695-705
- Human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cell-derived extracellular vesicles: a novel therapeutic paradigm.J. Cell. Physiol. 2020; 235: 706-717
- Exosome-delivered microRNAs modulate the inflammatory response to endotoxin.Nat. Commun. 2015; 6: 7321
- Comparison of human mesenchymal stromal cells from four neonatal tissues: amniotic membrane, chorionic membrane, placental decidua and umbilical cord.Cytotherapy. 2017; 19: 577-585
- GAPDH as a housekeeping gene: analysis of GAPDH mRNA expression in a panel of 72 human tissues.Physiol. Genomics. 2005; 21: 389-395
- MicroRNAs: genomics, biogenesis, mechanism, and function.Cell. 2004; 116: 281-297
- Allogeneic cell therapy using umbilical cord MSCs on collagen scaffolds for patients with recurrent uterine adhesion: a phase I clinical trial.Stem. Cell. Res. Ther. 2018; 9: 192
- Sustained release of endothelial progenitor cell-derived extracellular vesicles from shear-thinning hydrogels improves angiogenesis and promotes function after myocardial infarction.Cardiovasc. Res. 2018; 114: 1029-1040
- Mesenchymal stem cells-derived exosomes are more immunosuppressive than microparticles in inflammatory arthritis.Theranostics. 2018; 8: 1399-1410
- MicroRNA-545 targets ZEB2 to inhibit the development of non-small cell lung cancer by inactivating Wnt/beta-catenin pathway.Oncol. Lett. 2019; 18: 2931-2938
- miR-145 attenuates cardiac fibrosis through the AKT/GSK-3β/β-catenin signaling pathway by directly targeting SOX9 in fibroblasts.J. Cell. Biochem. 2021; 122: 209-221
- Exosomes derived from human umbilical cord mesenchymal stromal cells deliver exogenous miR-145–5p to inhibit pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma progression.Cancer Lett. 2019; 442: 351-361
- Minimal criteria for defining multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells. The International Society for Cellular Therapy position statement.Cytotherapy. 2006; 8: 315-317
- U6 can be used as a housekeeping gene for urinary sediment miRNA studies of IgA nephropathy.Sci. Rep. 2018; 8: 10875
- Human mesenchymal stem cell-derived extracellular vesicles/estrogen combined therapy safely ameliorates experimentally induced intrauterine adhesions in a female rat model.Stem. Cell. Res. Ther. 2018; 9: 175
- Mesenchymal stem cell-derived extracellular vesicles attenuate kidney inflammation.Kidney Int. 2017; 92: 114-124
- Umbilical cord-derived mesenchymal stem cell-derived exosomal microRNAs suppress myofibroblast differentiation by inhibiting the transforming growth factor-β/SMAD2 pathway during wound healing.Stem. Cells Transl. Med. 2016; 5: 1425-1439
- Bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells (BMSCs) restore functional endometrium in the rat model for severe Asherman syndrome.Reprod. Sci. 2019; 26: 436-444
- Extracellular vesicles from bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells improve survival from lethal hepatic failure in mice.Stem. Cells Transl. Med. 2017; 6: 1262-1272
- The role of the TGF-β superfamily in myocardial infarction.Front Cardiovasc. Med. 2019; 6: 140
- Hysteroscopic management of Asherman's syndrome.J. Minim. Invasive Gynecol. 2018; 25: 218-228
- Mesenchymal stem cell-derived extracellular vesicles attenuate influenza virus-induced acute lung injury in a pig model.Stem. Cell. Res. Ther. 2018; 9: 17
- CpG island hypermethylation-associated silencing of microRNAs promotes human endometrial cancer.Cancer Cell. Int. 2013; 13: 44
- miR-200c suppresses endometriosis by targeting MALAT1 in vitro and in vivo.Stem. Cell. Res. Ther. 2017; 8: 251
- Transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta) isoforms in wound healing and fibrosis.Wound Repair Regen. 2016; 24: 215-222
- Impact of microRNA regulation on variation in human gene expression.Genome Res. 2012; 22: 1243-1254
- Exosomes derived from human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells promote proliferation of allogeneic endometrial stromal cells.Reprod. Sci. 2020; 27: 1372-1381
- Isolation, cultivation, and characterization of human mesenchymal stem cells.Cytometry A. 2018; 93: 19-31
- Mesenchymal-to-epithelial transition contributes to endometrial regeneration following natural and artificial decidualization.Stem. Cells. Dev. 2013; 22: 964-974
- Exosomes.Annu. Rev. Biochem. 2019; 88: 487-514
- Human mesenchymal stromal cell-derived extracellular vesicles modify microglial response and improve clinical outcomes in experimental spinal cord injury.Sci. Rep. 2018; 8: 480
- A comprehensive review of Asherman's syndrome: causes, symptoms and treatment options.Curr. Opin. Obstet. Gynecol. 2017; 29: 249-256
- Paracrine and autocrine signals induce and maintain mesenchymal and stem cell states in the breast.Cell. 2011; 145: 926-940
- An exosomal urinary miRNA signature for early diagnosis of renal fibrosis in lupus nephritis.Cells. 2019; 8: 773
- Human mesenchymal stromal cell-derived extracellular vesicles attenuate aortic aneurysm formation and macrophage activation via microRNA-147.FASEB J. 2018; 32: 6038-6050
- Transforming growth factor-β signalling in renal fibrosis: from Smads to non-coding RNAs.J. Physiol. 2018; 596: 3493-3503
- miRNA-146a improves immunomodulatory effects of MSC-derived exosomes in rheumatoid arthritis.Curr. Gene. Ther. 2020; 20: 297-312
- Human serum enhances the proliferative capacity and immunomodulatory property of MSCs derived from human placenta and umbilical cord.Stem. Cell. Res. Ther. 2019; 10: 79
- Isolation and characterization of exosomes from cell culture supernatants and biological fluids.Curr. Protoc. Cell. Biol. 2006; Chapter 3: 3-22
- Shedding light on the cell biology of extracellular vesicles.Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell. Biol. 2018; 19: 213-228
- The role of the ZEB family of transcription factors in development and disease.Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 2009; 66: 773-787
- SIP1, a novel zinc finger/homeodomain repressor, interacts with Smad proteins and binds to 5’-CACCT sequences in candidate target genes.J. Biol. Chem. 1999; 274: 20489-20498
- Exosomes derived from umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells alleviate mifepristone-induced human endometrial stromal cell injury.Stem. Cells Int. 2020; 2020: 1-9
- Defining mesenchymal stromal cell (MSC)-derived small extracellular vesicles for therapeutic applications.J. Extracell Vesicles. 2019; 81609206
- Exosomal transfer of bone marrow mesenchymal stem cell-derived miR-340 attenuates endometrial fibrosis.Biol. Open. 2019; 8bio039958
- MiR-145: a potential biomarker of cancer migration and invasion.Am. J. Transl. Res. 2019; 11: 6739-6753
- Mesenchymal stem-cell-derived exosomal miR-145 inhibits atherosclerosis by targeting JAM-A.Mol. Ther. Nucleic Acids. 2021; 23: 119-131
- Mesenchymal stem cells derived from Wharton jelly of the human umbilical cord ameliorate damage to human endometrial stromal cells.Fertil. Steril. 2011; 96: 1029-1036
- CD34(+) KLF4(+) stromal stem cells contribute to endometrial regeneration and repair.Cell. Rep. 2019; 27: 2709-2724
- Asherman syndrome – one century later.Fertil. Steril. 2008; 89: 759-779
- Therapeutic effect of human umbilical cord-derived mesenchymal stem cells on injured rat endometrium during its chronic phase.Stem. Cell. Res. Ther. 2018; 9: 36
- MiR-20a-containing exosomes from umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells alleviates liver ischemia/reperfusion injury.J. Cell. Physiol. 2020; 235: 3698-3710
- Exosomes derived from human embryonic mesenchymal stem cells promote osteochondral regeneration.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2016; 24: 2135-2140
- MicroRNA-145 inhibits hepatic stellate cell activation and proliferation by targeting ZEB2 through Wnt/β-catenin pathway.Mol. Immunol. 2016; 75: 151-160
Xiao Li is a master's student at the Beijing Obstetrics and Gynecology Hospital, Capital Medical University. Her research interests include clinical diagnosis and treatment and the basic research of uterine diseases.
Intrauterine adhesions are a kind of endometrial injury disease, and the pathological manifestations are mainly endometrial fibrosis. Umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cell-derived exosomes may reverse endometrial stromal cell fibrosis by regulating the miR-145-5p/ZEB2 axis, representing a potential strategy to promote endometrial repair.
Published online: May 29, 2022
Accepted: May 24, 2022
Received in revised form: April 21, 2022
Received: January 27, 2022Declaration: The authors report no financial or commercial conflicts of interest.
© 2022 Reproductive Healthcare Ltd. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.