- •SIRT1 is localized in the connecting piece of human spermatozoa.
- •Lysine acetylation is mainly found along the tail of human spermatozoa.
- •SIRT1 activation increases tyrosine phosphorylation.
- •SIRT1 activation improves human sperm responsiveness to Ca2+ ionophore challenge.
Does sirtuin-1 (SIRT1) have a role in the human spermatozoa capacitation process?
Human spermatozoa were incubated for 6 h in a capacitating medium in presence or absence of the specific SIRT1 activator, YK 3-237. Several sperm parameters were determined by flow cytometry: viability, acrosome reaction and mitochondria membrane status. Sperm motility was determined objectively by computer-assisted semen analysis. Sperm capacitation status was evaluated by the extent of protein tyrosine phosphorylation and by the percentage of spermatozoa with the acrosome reacted by a calcium ionophore challenge.
SIRT1 was detected in the connecting piece of human spermatozoa where a lysine acetylation pattern was mainly found along the sperm tail. SIRT1 activation accelerates the occurrence of a phenotype associated with human sperm capacitation, with no differences seen in the lysine acetylation pattern. After 1 h of co-incubation of YK 3-237 with human spermatozoa, tyrosine phosphorylation levels were comparable to control levels after 6 h of incubation in capacitating conditions. In addition, the activator improved sperm responsiveness to a Ca2+ ionophore (A23187) challenge determined by an increase in acrosome-reacted spermatozoa (P = 0.025). Importantly, sperm viability and mitochondrial activity-related parameters assessed by flow cytometry were not affected by YK 3-237.
YK 3-237 induces capacitation-related events in human spermatozoa such an increase of tyrosine phosphorylation levels and acrosome-reacted spermatozoa after the ionophore challenge. Together, these results show that YK 3-237 affects human spermatozoa capacitation-related events by a mechanism independent of protein lysine acetylation but dependent on bicarbonate and calcium.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Reproductive BioMedicine Online
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A unique view on male infertility around the globe.Reprod. Biol. Endocrinol. 2015; 13: 37
- Analysis of the responses of human spermatozoa to A23187 employing a novel technique for assessing the acrosome reaction.J. Androl. 1993; 14: 132-141
- Identification of proteins undergoing tyrosine phosphorylation during mouse sperm capacitation 565.Int. J Dev. Biol. 2008; 52 ([doi]): 463-472
- Observations on the penetration of the sperm in the mammalian egg.Aust. J. Sci. Res. B. 1951; 4: 581-596
- Analysis of the mechanism by which calcium negatively regulates the tyrosine phosphorylation cascade associated with sperm capacitation.J. Cell Sci. 2004; 117 ([doi];jcs.00842 [pii]): 211-222
- Evidence for the involvement of proline-rich tyrosine kinase 2 in tyrosine phosphorylation downstream of protein kinase A activation during human sperm capacitation.Mol. Hum. Reprod. 2014; 20: 1054-1066
- SirT1 is required in the male germ cell for differentiation and fecundity in mice.Development. 2014; 141: 3495-3504
- The culture of mouse embryos in vitro.in: Daniel Jr, J.C. Methods in Mammalian Embryology. Freeman, San Francisco1971: 86-116
- Rapid non-genomic actions of progesterone stimulate Ca2+ influx and the acrosome reaction in human sperm.Cell Signal. 1993; 5: 531-538
- Changes in tyrosine phosphorylation associated with true capacitation and capacitation-like state in boar spermatozoa.Mol. Reprod. Dev. 2005; 71: 88-96
- Metformin inhibits human spermatozoa motility and signalling pathways mediated by protein kinase A and tyrosine phosphorylation without affecting mitochondrial function.Reprod. Fertil. Dev. 2019; 31: 787-795https://doi.org/10.1071/rd18256
- Fertilizing capacity of spermatozoa deposited into the fallopian tubes.Nature. 1951; 168: 697-698
- SIRT1 and aging related signaling pathways.Mech. Ageing Dev. 2020; 187111215
- Lysine acetylation participates in boar spermatozoa motility and acrosome status regulation under different glucose conditions.Theriogenology. 2021; 159: 140-146
- Soluble adenylyl cyclase as an evolutionarily conserved bicarbonate sensor.Science. 2000; 289: 625-628
- SIRT1 deficiency attenuates spermatogenesis and germ cell function.PLoS One. 2008; 3: e1571
- The role of sirtuin 1 and its activator, resveratrol in osteoarthritis.Biosci. Rep. 2019; 39BSR20190189
- Chang's meaning of capacitation: a molecular perspective.Mol. Reprod. Dev. 2016; 83: 860-874
- Calcium-calmodulin and pH regulate protein tyrosine phosphorylation in stallion sperm.Reproduction. 2012; 144: 411-422
- Metabolic substrates exhibit differential effects on functional parameters of mouse sperm capacitation.Biol. Reprod. 2012; 87: 75
- Activators of sirtuin-1 and their involvement in cardioprotection.Curr. Med. Chem. 2018; 25: 4432-4456
- Calcium regulation of the soluble adenylyl cyclase expressed in mammalian spermatozoa.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2003; 100: 10676-10681
- The histone deacetylase SIRT1 controls male fertility in mice through regulation of hypothalamic-pituitary gonadotropin signaling.Biol. Reprod. 2009; 80: 384-391
- Sirtuin signaling in cellular senescence and aging.BMB Rep. 2019; 52: 24-34
- Kinetic properties of ‘soluble’ adenylyl cyclase. Synergism between calcium and bicarbonate.J. Biol. Chem. 2003; 278: 15922-15926
- Sirt1 regulates acrosome biogenesis by modulating autophagic flux during spermiogenesis in mice.Development. 2017; 144: 441-451
- Calcium ionophore-induced acrosome reaction correlates with fertilization rates in vitro in patients with teratozoospermic semen.Hum. Reprod. 1998; 13: 905-910
- Calcium requirements for human sperm function in vitro.Fertil. Steril. 2003; 79: 1396-1403
- Evidence of the presence of calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase IV in human sperm and its involvement in motility regulation.J. Cell Sci. 2005; 118: 2013-2022
- Semi-automatized segmentation method using image-based flow cytometry to study sperm physiology: the case of capacitation-induced tyrosine phosphorylation.Mol. Hum. Reprod. 2018; 24: 64-73
- The mammalian SIR2alpha protein has a role in embryogenesis and gametogenesis.Mol. Cell. Biol. 2003; 23: 38-54
- Sirtuins in mammals: insights into their biological function.Biochem. J. 2007; 404: 1-13
- Seminal SIRT1-oxidative stress relationship in infertile oligoasthenoteratozoospermic men with varicocele after its surgical repair.Andrologia. 2020; 52: e13456
- Seminal SIRT1 expression in infertile oligoasthenoteratozoospermic men with varicocele.Andrology. 2018; 6: 301-305
- Evaluation of the relationship among the levels of SIRT1 and SIRT3 with oxidative stress and DNA fragmentation in asthenoteratozoospermic men.Int. J. Fertil. Steril. 2021; 15: 135-140
- Biphasic role of calcium in mouse sperm capacitation signaling pathways.J. Cell. Physiol. 2015; 230: 1758-1769
- Timing of sperm capacitation varies reproducibly among men.Mol. Reprod. Dev. 2018; 85: 387-396
- Activation of sirtuin-1 promotes renal fibroblast activation and aggravates renal fibrogenesis.J. Pharmacol. Exp. Ther. 2015; 354: 142-151
- Sperm phosphoproteomics: historical perspectives and current methodologies.Exp. Rev. Proteomics. 2012; 9: 533-548
- Lysine acetylation modulates mouse sperm capacitation.Sci. Rep. 2018; 8: 13334
- Cap-Score prospectively predicts probability of pregnancy.Mol. Reprod. Dev. 2018; 85: 654-664
- Multicentric, prospective observational data show sperm capacitation predicts male fertility, and cohort comparison reveals a high prevalence of impaired capacitation in men questioning their fertility.Reprod. Biomed. Online. 2020; 41: 69-79
- Insights into the lysine acetylproteome of human sperm.J. Proteomics. 2014; 109: 199-211
- Can we distinguish between infertility and subfertility when predicting natural conception in couples with an unfulfilled child wish?.Hum. Reprod. 2013; 28: 658-665
- WHO Laboratory Manual for the Examination and Processing of Human Semen.5th edn. World Health Organization, Geneva2010
- ART in Europe, 2016: results generated from European registries by ESHRE.Hum. Reprod. Open. 2020; (hoaa032)
- The movement of golden hamster spermatozoa before and after capacitation.J. Reprod. Fertil. 1970; 23: 193-196
- Targeting mutant p53 by a SIRT1 activator YK-3-237 inhibits the proliferation of triple-negative breast cancer cells.Oncotarget. 2013; 4: 984-994
- Acetylproteomic analysis reveals functional implications of lysine acetylation in human spermatozoa (sperm).Mol. Cell. Proteomics. 2015; 14: 1009-1023
- Review of the anti-inflammatory effect of SIRT1 and SIRT2 modulators on neurodegenerative diseases.Eur. J. Pharmacol. 2020; 867172847
David Martín-Hidalgo is a biology reproductive researcher with a veterinary background. He is interested in improving the outcome of assisted reproductive technology in mammals, mainly humans and domestic animals. His research and expertise have been focused on the study of sperm metabolism and intracellular pathways as a tool to overcome male infertility.
This is the first study to show the role of sirtuins in the human sperm capacitation pathway. Human spermatozoa SIRT1 activated by YK 3-237 enhances capacitation-related events by bringing forward and increasing the levels of protein tyrosine phosphorylation and increasing the percentage of spermatozoa acrosome reacted after calcium ionophore challenge.
Published online: July 18, 2022
Accepted: July 14, 2022
Received in revised form: July 7, 2022
Received: March 21, 2022Declaration: The authors report no financial or commercial conflicts of interest.
© 2022 Reproductive Healthcare Ltd. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.